Day 11: Outside Adventure!
So easy, so healthy and so much fun!
Spend 15 minutes taking a walk outside and turn it into a mini-adventure, whatever the weather!
Depending on where you live in the world here are some different ideas of ways you can make your outside time into a fun play time!
|Taking a sisterly stroll in the woods!|
If it’s Spring where you live right now:
- go on a hunt for a certain colour/ shape of flower. How many can you collect? can you bring them back to make a flower collage?
- look for bugs under rocks and logs. Take a magnifying glass to examine them closely!
- build an outside structure using branches and leaves
- search for fairies/ elves under branches and in hidey holes in trees!
- play hide and seek
- climb trees
- take a basket for some autumnal treasure hunting! fill it with as many different types and colours and sizes of leaves as possible. Look for acorns, chestnuts, conkers, seeds (whatever grows in your area) and see how many varieties you can collect. Bring them home and make them into a sensory tub, a nature table or huge collaborative collage
- make or find a pile of leaves and jump in it!
- throw and kick leaves and go searching for the crunchiest one possible!
- play hide and seek behind trees/ leaf stacks
- climb trees
- make a snowman or snow animal
- build an igloo or snow cave
- make some snow tracks and follow them
- take a spray bottle filled with diluted paint in water and make snow art!
- take umbrellas and dance in the rain
- jump in puddles with wellie boots on
- do some drawings with pens then take them out to watch the rain make them into watercolours!
There’s no such thing as bad weather- just inappropriate clothing!
Wrap up, get on those waterproofs and get out there.
We really can’t wait to hear what you get up to!
[Please remember, this is just a play prompt. You are not being asked to replicate any of the ideas exactly from this 30 Day Challenge! We hope to spark an idea for an activity and give an opportunity to try something a bit different each day and the emphasis is very much on having relaxed, good fun and a really engaged play session.]
Let us know what fun ideas you had and adaptations you made by leaving a comment! You can also join the discussion over at The Play Network
Be sure to sign up to receive these challenges directly in your email inbox each morning!
Tomorrow hands on: as we grow will have the challenge for day 12!
Brilliant – we went out on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday J loved it and T even had a crawl around the leaf litter and apart from not liking the taste of the leaves she had loads of fun.
Melissa @ The Chocolate Muffin Tree says
Your girls are really getting big—-what a beautiful picture of them walking together. Your right, there is no excuse for not getting outside. We love rain walks here.
I am a total sucker for kiddos holding hands – so cute! We have a pic like that in our post too…
Jamie @ hands on : as we grow says
Thank you Anna! We haven’t gotten outside in a couple weeks since its getting colder now! And we need to! Definitely will be doing this today! We’ll share how it goes!
My kids LOVE climbing on tree trunks… and jumping on leaves and in puddles… perfect!
Laura @Art For Little Hands says
I am what you call indoorsy! I need a push to go out when the weather isn’t optimal. Kids never seem to mind!
Anna @ The Imagination Tree says
I’m probably the same by nature Laura! But when we do get out i’m always glad we did. And they learn so much from it. But I get ya!
Lovely post…you have been inspiring me this week to get outside with my twins (been into your archives!)and we had fun with fingerpainting, spaghetti painting and nature walks too.
Timely post for me as it is raining today…will try to get outside anyway!!My girls live for outside time at the moment!
Jessica Kerr says
We headed outside today and had a blast eve though its quite chilly here. Thanks for the fun challenges.
Great challenge! We collected a wonderful selection of natural items and built some VERY detailed sand castles in the sand box! FUN!
Mama Pea Pod says
Thanks for linking this up with us at the Outdoor Play Party, Anna! We love to take little nature exploration walks like this – there’s always something interesting to find, even if it’s just in the garden.
The Iowa Farmer's Wife says
I LOVE the snow art idea! I’ve seen it before, but have forgotten about it! Now I’m excited for it to snow again so we can try it! 🙂
Love how you break it down for all the different seasons! That is so great and helpful for moms trying to get their kids outside.
Thanks for linking this up to the outdoor play party!
Fiona - Bosinver Farm Cottages says
Loved your post – particularly the point about there being no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. Kids don’t seem to mind the rain at all – and puddles can be fun at any age when you’re kitted out in waterproofs and wellies.
Box o mania play house says
Thanks so much..! I shared the idea on blog frog … I didn’t realize you all had so many great ideas over there also! 🙂