Recipe for bright white play dough:
- 1 cup cornflour (cornstarch in the US)
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup boiling (or nearly boiling) water
- few drops liquid glycerine (not essential, but makes it even smoother!)
- silver glitter- optional! (but soooo pretty)
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and add the oil
- Next, pour in the water (adult only if using boiling) and mix it up
- Leave it for a little while to cool down, in which time it will come together more
- Knead it until smooth and soft
- Add in glitter and any scent (if desired)
- If it’s too sticky, add some more cornflour
- Roll the white sparkly dough into balls to make snow balls!
- Build snow men and snow castles and decorate them with buttons, twigs and beads
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin and cut out snowflakes and stars using cutters
- Use it to form part of a small world play snowscape and play with penguins, seals, polar bears etc
Did Cakie want to do any of those lovely ideas I’d had for the dough? Of course not! She wanted to use her own imagination and make glitter-snow-cakes! I love my girl
And pretty gorgeous they were too. She went and found the beads and stars from the Christmas Sensory Tub nearby and added them into the dough as “sprinkles and decorations” for the top of her cakes.
Then she put them all in a baking tray and cooked them in her imaginary oven, allowed them to cool and served them up to Daddy when he got home from work!
This activity is good for:
- Sensory: exploring materials using the senses
- Motor Skills: rolling, pinching, flattening, squeezing to develop and strengthen hand muscles
- Creativity: using materials to represent other things during play, imaginary play, role play
- Literacy: storytelling and taking on roles and characters through imaginary play
- Maths: counting out cups and spoons, measuring and quantities, full and empty
- Knowledge and Understanding of the World: following recipes, role-play bakery, investigating change of materials from dry to sticky to soft
Cakie: 3 years 4 months
Pop: 21 months
See all our PLAYDOUGH RECIPES here
Try our amazingly fun sensory SNOW recipe here!
Follow our CHRISTMAS themed Pinterest board here
Follow Anna @ The Imagination Tree’s board Christmas Ideas on Pinterest.