First of all she did (innumerable) hand-prints onto white paper using black paint. I let her do loads on her own and then I helped her to put 2 prints back to back, slightly overlapping, to make a spider.
When they dried I cut closely around the whole shapes, cutting off the thumbs to leave 8 legs. We did two so that she could have one to play with too!
She wanted to do more painting/printing so she helped herself to some blue and silver and layered up prints into a lovely mess. I was going to throw it away but decided instead to use it to cut out some rain drops to add to the song sheet.
I have been in love with my new A3 laminator that I got for Christmas and am laminating everything in sight. I have been waiting for this before I could start the song sheets as they need to be large and tough enough to withstand some rough play! Ahhh, little laminator, there you are
On an A3 sheet I stuck on the main parts of the story using the raindrops cut from the blue painted mess, a simple drain-pipe shape and a sun cut out from a yellow collage that she made a few months back. Recycling previous crafts feels like a good way to show-case them!
I drew around the spider, one rain-drop and the sun shapes and labelled them. I then removed them before I laminated the main sheet so that they can be stuck on and taken off while the song is sung, making it an interactive song sheet. I want to use velcro tape which is extremely durable and sticks really well to laminate, but I have run out so am just going to use blu-tac for now.
Here is the sheet with the main parts removed.
While we sing the song together she plays with these and matches them up to the correct shape.