Beans and Flower Pots Counting Activity

Have fun playing this beans and flower pots counting activity using the simplest of materials! Playful, hands-on maths for preschoolers to school age children, which can easily be adapted to become more challenging if needed.Beans and flower pots counting activity

After using some simple dried beans (we used butter beans) in this colour sorting activity and again for this alphabet matching tray, we used them again to practise some counting skills! That’s 3 separate activities from one small bag of dried beans, and each set will last for some time.Counting beans maths game

I set some plain beans into a basket and then wrote numbers from 1 to 20 on some little planter pots (very cheap from the garden centre), using a Sharpie permanent marker. I set these out for them to play with on a table.Counting beans into flower pots game

Miss 5 enjoyed using all of the pots up to 20, counting out the beans carefully using 1:1 correspondence and checking to make sure she had the right amount for the higher numbers.

Flower pot bean counting game

She was able to put the pots into the correct order and read the numerals to check too.Counting beans maths activity

Miss 4 enjoyed using some of the smaller numbers and tried some of the teen ones too, counting each bean by moving it to make sure she had the right number of each.

Bean counting activity

Miss 2 loved playing too and spent a lot of time tipping and transferring beans between pots and stirring them up. She saw that the bigger girls were counting beans out, and started to recite some numbers in order as she filled up pots too.Beans and flower pots number activity

You could introduce the idea of adding together two pots full of beans to find the total amount, or even move onto subtraction for older children. Working on ordering the number pots is a crucial step too, as is ensuring they are using correct 1:1 correspondence as they count out each bean. We encourage them to move them as they count to make sure they don’t make mistakes as they count.

What they are learning as they play:

maths: recognising numerals to 5, then to 10, then up to 20; counting using 1:1 correspondence, ordering numbers, counting objects up to 10 and then up to 20, combining small sets of numbers, subtracting small sets of numbers

The children are currently 5, 4 and 2

See all of our Playful Maths ideas activities here!

Comments

1. Anita says

My 4 year old loved this. We then used the pots to play’ shops’ after the counting exercise and I bought pots of beans from the shop. We are looking forward to using the pots to make ice creams like the ones from the ice cream van. We will use cotton wool as the counting measure instead of the beans and may add real sprinkles onto the ice creams. !

i don’t know how Tyler stowed from noose (so far) on the other hand Cassity parents are at rock bottom and movie Cemetery would be in receivership and will wind up being sold in a bankruptcy auction for sure.

immediately i was witnessing long lasting trade in being a from your central simple yet perfect things, each entire knit collections, our own clothing fashion collection and as a consequence winter occasional libraries.

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My website has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any ways to help stop content from being stolen? I’d certainly appreciate it.

First of all I would like to say terrific blog! I had a quick question that I’d like to ask if you don’t mind. I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts before writing. I’ve had a hard time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints? Kudos!|掲示板}

Hello, I think your website might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog site in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, fantastic blog!

Howdy! I realize this is sort of off-topic but I needed to ask. Does managing a well-established blog like yours require a large amount of work? I’m completely new to blogging however I do write in my diary daily. I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my personal experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for brand new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!
    cardy tall knit ugg boots clearance http://www.smithancestry.com/cardy-tall-knit-ugg-boots-clearance-b-516.html

Awesome blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? I’m hoping to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Kudos!
    louis vuitton duffle etymology definition http://www.katflynt.com/louis-vuitton-duffle-etymology-definition-b-11198.html

Trackbacks