Here is the first in a series of simple play ideas for babies from 0 to 12 months. These activities focus on engaging the senses, curiosity, stimulation and early communication between baby and parents!
Activities for young babies don’t need to be extravagant or over-planned. After all, everything is a first experience for young babies and the wonder and amazement of watching bubbles form and float, then fall, burst and disappear is totally mesmerising the first time it’s seen!
We lay Bean on the sofa where the girls could get close to her and where she would be safe and comfortable, then we all took it in turns to blow bubbles around her (NOT into or near her face, of course, in case the soap popped near her eyes.)
I love her thoughtful, concentration in this picture. Just imagine what her little mind is thinking and questioning! A whole new world of experiences opening up before her eyes!
EYFS Learning Links: (birth-11 months)
- sensory: investigate and discover the world using all of the senses, as appropriate
- phse: respond to differences in their environment e.g. showing interest or excitement
- maths: develop an awareness of shape, form and texture as they encounter people and things in their environment
- physical: use movement and senses to focus on, reach for and handle objects, use movement and sensory exploration to link up with their immediate environment, reach out for and touch objects
- knowledge and understanding: anticipate repeated sounds, sights and actions