Ideas of ways to play with gingerbread dough:
* add gingerbread men cookie cutters and rolling pins and pretend to make real gingerbread men and “bake” them in a pretend oven. Role play being bakers and sell them in bakery shop pretend play!
* read the story of The Gingerbread Man alongside the activity and retell the story as you play. Cakie is really into this book at the moment and did some dramatic storytelling as she played!
* set out some buttons and beads and use them to add features to the gingerbread men. We used some buttons from my Mum’s vast collection and it was fun to share with the girls that some of them had come from clothes that had belonged to their great grandmother!
* sensory: explore malleable materials using hands, discuss smells and what they make us think of
* motor skills: small muscle hand development by pushing, squeezing, rolling, flattening and cutting dough
* literacy: retell stories in the correct sequence using storybook language, identify main characters from stories
* maths: count objects accurately up to 10 and beyond, weighing, measuring and capacity
Next activity for us is to make some REAL gingerbread men!