The girls have a lovely lavender plant growing rather wildly in their play garden that we planted in the Spring, and it is currently providing a beautiful heady scent that fills the air.
C picked some recently and we used it to add a lovely natural scent to a new batch of purple, non-cook play dough. It smells absolutely wonderful when they play with it and is a nice alternative to flavourings!
Our favourite no-cook play dough recipe:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp cream of tartar
- 1 to 1.5 cups of boiling water (start with up to 1, mix it as below, then add a little more until it is just right)
- a big squeeze of liquid food colouring
- a few drops of glycerine (my secret extra ingredient for extra smoothness and shine!)
- Mix the dry ingredients. Stir through the oil. Add the boiling water and stir vigorously until all lumps are gone and it begins to come together. Then knead it until it stops being sticky. Add colouring and any flavouring/ natural scent at the kneading stage.
- Add in the lavender at this final stage.
Cakie: 36 months
Pop: 18 months